Saturday, we headed out to the mall to do a little Christmas shopping... didn't get anything done! Bobby, being a smart ol' daddy, suggested we bring Brody an extra set of clothes "just in case". The past few times we have gone to the mall, Brody either threw up all over himself (He seems to do that if he drinks too much Chick-fil-A lemonade) or leaked thru his diaper.
We hadn't eaten yet, so we decided to just grab something quick from the food court. I ended up sharing a Spaghetti kids meal with Brody and Bobby got a burger. While eating lunch, Brody started to gag (which he actually does quite often) but just to be safe we grabbed a bag and put it in front of him... sure enough- he threw up. Thankfully, we caught it just in time! He continued to eat and play, so we didn't think much of it. (He had been acting a little different the previous couple of days, so we watched him extra close. We went into a maternity store and right as we were checking out Brody started to look sick, really sick. He ended up falling asleep in his stroller and began getting a fever. I called and canceled our babysitter an hour before we were to pick her up. Thank goodness we decided to do that, because on our way home Brody threw up two more times in the car. He fell asleep when we got home, then when he woke up he did it again. We decided to take him into the Kids care before they closed, so at 9 pm we headed out. He had a light fever of about 100* and threw up again at the Dr. The Dr walked in right as it began. He checked his stomach for Appendicitis, asked us how he has been doing, and told us it was the Stomach flu and he would probably throw up only a few times the next day and most likely get Diarrhea. We felt so bad that there was nothing we could do to help him feel better. He is too young for anti-nausea medicine and he wasn't quite sick enough for an IV (thank goodness!!). All we could do was wait it out. We headed home, and he threw up once more before going to sleep. I asked Bobby to give him a blessing, which he did right before we went to sleep. Brody slept with us that night so I could keep an eye on him. We put a blanket underneath him so I wouldn't have to change sheets in the middle of the night. Luckily, he only threw up once at 2:30 am. (he threw up the first time at 2 pm- that makes about 8 times in 12 hours) :( He woke up on Sunday morning with a light fever, but it was gone within about an hour of getting out of bed. After that, he didn't throw up again, have a fever, or end up getting diarrhea! YAY! I am so thankful for Priesthood blessings. I know that's what got Brody over this illness so quickly. I'm so glad he's feeling better! I hate it when my baby's sick... the only good thing you can get out of it is some good snuggle time and movies! I love that!
On a lighter/funny note: While we were checking out at the Maternity store, the lady asked me how much longer I had (did you catch that? HOW MUCH LONGER?? Not, how far along?!) I laughed and said "20 weeks, I'm halfway!"... she then said, "oh, no offense, but I thought you were about to burst!"
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Sick baby, and Big Belly
Posted by
Erica
at
2:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Oh poor Brody, that makes me so sad! Glad he is doing better, it is the worst when the little ones are sick because they have no clue what is going on. And the look on their face when they are throwing up makes me want to cry. Give him a hug from me!
And the big belly thing is funny, it is just because you are short! :)
WHAT,she said that. Well thanks lady. You would think working in a maternity store to be A LITTLE more sensitive about that kind of thing.
I am sorry he had the SF, that is no fun. I can't believe he threw up that many times in a 12 hour period, poor little guy.
True that, on extra snuggles and movie time, to bad it takes them getting sick to get it..lol.
Oh I love those comments. Something about pregnancy makes people say anything they want without holding back or thinking about it first. I've been getting the "someone's about to pop" comment for a few months now. Now my response to stupid comments is "I'm pregnant, what's your excuse?"
I have to say I think I am as big as you were at 8 weeks and I am 21 weeks! :o)... Which I don't actually think is necessarily good thing, since people just think I ate too many doughnuts instead of knowing that we have a little one on the way. Good thing you are still so cute with your belly... Keep posting pictures though, I would love to see your growth!!
-Brittney
Post a Comment