Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Where have we been?!



I've had a few people call and wonder where we've been? I know I haven't posted for a while, and my cousin asked me if we left the country or something? Well, that's exactly what we did! We left on a Mexican Riviera Cruise last Saturday at 4:00 AM. We had a blast!! So, here are the updates of what has been going on with our family for the last couple of weeks...

Brody had been sick with a cold since Christmas. It would get better and then worse and keep going back and forth. It was so sad. I had taken him to the Dr about 4 or 5 times in the last month, every time getting a different Dr. (His was always out on the days I went in.) Well, It seemed to be getting pretty bad and my friends little girl had just tested positive for RSV. So, I decided to go in on Friday (The day before we were to leave to Mexico) and ask the Dr. to test him for it. The nurse came back in and said it came back positive. I couldn't believe it. They didn't know if the RSV had just begun or if it was at the end of the Virus, because he had been in so much with the same symptoms, but I think he had just gotten it because it got so much worse than it had ever been. So, for the rest of the day he just kept getting worse, labored breathing, lethargic, wouldn't eat, etc. I didn't like seeing my baby like this. That evening I was talking to my mom and she could hear him breathing really hard- she told me to call the Dr and see what they wanted me to do. While I was talking to the receptionist (After hours) He started to get worse really fast, and started to cough and turn red. I ended up hanging up on the lady and called 911. I figured they would get there faster than I could. I wouldn't have been able to drive by myself with Brody unable to breath in the back seat. The ambulance came and they checked him for me. He was doing much better by that time. It was so scary. My In-laws ended up coming over and drove Brody and I to the Quick Care, where Bobby met us. (He had just left work) We saw an awesome Dr. He came in and his first question was- "is there a history of allergies in the family?" YES!!! (We both had allergy shots when we were younger.) I was so glad to have a GOOD Dr see Brody. He ended up trying an Albuterol breathing treatment, which totally helped him! We found out that he has Viral induced Asthma. I cannot even believe the difference that made. (So, in the future, if you go into the Dr 5 times and they constantly say, "just wait it out" GET A NEW DR.!!) Well, we were thinking that we wouldn't go on the cruise, which made us pretty sad, but Brody made such an improvement that night, we ended up going! We had some medication for his lungs and we also were able to take a Nebulizer for his breathing treatments. Exhausted, I stayed up all night packing because Friday was so crazy! We left at 4:30 AM on Saturday and went to Long Beach where we got on our ship!

Saturday, Sunday, and Monday we were at Sea, but had fun on the ship. Sunday we had a Family Sacrament meeting (just the 17 of us) which was very nice. We had some family pictures taken that night, and then at about 5 AM on Monday, our niece Kenslee woke up Vomiting. She was sick all day, and we later learned that the Norowalk virus was going around the ship. Billy, and Jacee (Kenslee's parents) ended up getting the virus the next day. It was so scary having that go around the boat. The captain would get on the speaker about 5 times a day and would talk about the importance of washing our hands, and not touching anything. By the end of the cruise there were about 200 guests that had the virus, and 35 crew members. BIG numbers for the cruise line.

Tuesday, we went to Acapulco and took a Taxi around town. Later that night we went and watched the Cliff Divers. It runs in the family of the divers, and they start young. They climb, by hand up a mountain and have to wait for a wave to come up, before diving, or else there won't be enough water for them and they could get killed. Scary! It was very fun! (Funny story: While we were in the Taxi, we were talking about Wal Mart in Acapulco, and the lady said that it is expensive, so they go to other stores. I told her: "Did you know that they price match?" My sister-in-law Kris, and her husband laughed the whole cruise. What can I say? I'm just trying to help the lady out! We went and say the Hotel Flamingo, which was the Tarzan House, and John Wayne's home. It was cool. Later, we went to the beach and Brody absolutely loved it! He also enjoyed eating the sand... yuck!

Wednesday, we were in Ixtapa/Zihuatinejo. Very old town Mexico feel. We did some shopping, and just walked around. I bought a purse made of Candy Wrappers. It's fun! It was mainly just a sight seeing day.

Thursday, we stopped in Puerto Vallarta where we did more sight seeing. We went to a Cathedral- I've never been in one and it was quite interesting. I didn't like the feeling at all- it seemed very dark. What a difference from our normal way of life with the spirit.

Friday, we went to Cabo San Lucas and walked around, then took a taxi to the beach. It was overcast, and the water was so cold. We went in just up to our knees. Brody liked the waves, and loved when I would put his feet in the water.

On the ship, we would all go to dinner, and then see a show. They had great shows with dancers and singing. They also had comedians, which was a lot of fun! Brody sure is happy to be home and able to crawl around and play with his toys. One night, Bobby started to sing the theme song to Little Einsteins- Brody's favorite show. Right when he started to sing, Brody looked at the TV and kept watching it to see if the show would come on. It was funny. He got his 5th tooth last Saturday. He has his top and bottom 2, and now he has another top one coming thru. We had such a great vacation! THANKS SO MUCH BILL AND DIANA!! We're glad to be home, but we're missing the sun!

















3 comments:

Brooke said...

So we went on that EXACT same cruise in oct! Boston got so much attention because there were only like 3 babies on the entire ship! I am so sorry about all the sickness, but it sounds like you were troopers and had fun reguardless! oh, and i think we have the same stroller too! Chicco! I LOVE that stroller, but it broke when we took it on the plane to LA so I was SUPER bummed, but we exchanged it and got a new one. Anyway, glad your back!

Sarah said...

That cruise sounds like a blast! i'm glad brody is doing better now. and Thanks in advance for watching the kids. seriously it helps me out so much and they will love playing with brody! you're awesome

Brandi Lyn said...

Holy shoot! I've been wondering where you disappeared to. It sounds like you guys had an amazing time! The picture of you 3 should be on a magazine, wow!