Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Midnight...

Well, not quite. It's 11:38 PM and I'm sitting in bed next to my sweet, sleeping husband. Our computer decided to be lame (once again) and is not charging- SO, it's at the computer hospital getting fixed (hopefully!). Anyway, I am on my Mother-in-law's computer- THANKS DIANA!! You're a lifesaver! Bobby had something for work that needed to be done by 8 AM this morning, but our computer wasn't cooperating. So, we went to my in-laws and got one of their laptops because they are out of town right now. Diana told Bobby to just keep it here until they got home, so I'm able to get a little time to myself and do a little posting on a working computer! Well, Brody finally fell asleep - in his own bed! He has been in his room for the past half hour (surprisingly not crying too bad) and has just fallen asleep! Poor little guy. I hate having him upset, but sometimes I just need to put him in his bed and shut the door. Here's the rundown of what has been going on in the McGuire household...

It has been a whopping 2 weeks (in about 5 hours to be exact!) since I've nursed Brody. That's right! He is almost 15 months and I figured we better stop sooner than later. (cold turkey!)It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I was always told it would take 2-3 days to get him use to it, and it's true! That first night was tough, but he has hardly even asked for it since. (He's pulled at my shirt only a few times.) So, with us no longer nursing... you know what that means! No boobs! AND- no sleep! Brody hasn't taken a GOOD nap for 2 weeks! I never really nursed him to sleep, but it was a routine for him to eat and then go in his crib. Hence the midnight post! This is the first night that he isn't in OUR bed. Bobby needs some good sleep, and it's tough when you have a baby rolling into you. Now, I'm not a pro, but if anyone else is in the same situation with nursing- let me know! It's always nice to just have a little support from someone else who has gone thru it!
But, if anyone has any tips on how to get Brody in the routine of sleeping again- PLEASE! let me know!

Another BIG milestone is that Brody has added to his cute little vocabulary. (weird word!) On Sunday, Bobby taught him how to say "no!" How sweet! Thanks baby! I heard Bobby in the other room repeating the word to Brody, who would then copy his daddy. He is so darn cute when he says it... it's a NICE NO! Not quite the mean 2 year old NO!!! (yet!) AND! Last night, we were laying in bed with Brody, trying to get him to say his "new word" and he said "no more"- YAY! He said his FIRST 2 word sentence! After that, he said Night Night. I can't believe how fast these little ones learn! He's been talking so much the past couple of days... he also says Mom, Mama, Dadda, Daddo, Gamma, Gampa, and can say Roll it, Roll it for patty cake, etc. He's so much fun! I love him!

Well, it's 12:02 AM, and I better get some sleep before Brody gets up again! I'll post pictures and a video as soon as our computer is fixed! NIGHT NIGHT! :)

4 comments:

meagan said...

Erica, I have also stopped nursing and Ellie is only 9 months old, so you made it a lot longer than I did. I just think the poor thing wasn't getting much anyway, but it was hard to stop. It does get easier, though, and to be honest, at least for me, it was a liberating feeling. So good luck with that and good luck with him sleeping in his own room. You and such a cute mom.

Sarah said...

i told you it wouldn't be that hard. I'm glad he's doing so well with it. I have no advice about gettin him to sleep well. mikayla didn't start sleeping well til she was 3. Trenton still comes in our room around 4am every night. Katelyn on the other hand sleeps the best!

Erin Spenc said...

That was a cute post. I swear you just have to get him used to the idea that you are no fun at night. Don't turn on the light and don't talk to him. I think I would still rock him to sleep though. That's a tough situation. Good luck!

Jennifer Greenhalgh said...

Sorry, no advice. My kids didn't sleep through the night until they were about 7! Oh wait, you were one of those! HA!