I've always worked on potty training Brody, I just never stuck with it. I would let him run around with no diaper for a few hours while we were at home, but then put him in a diaper again. I was reading in a little book that consistency is key. I realized I needed to just do it and get it done with. Here's how I did it:
We stayed home all day for one day last week. I kept him naked (just a shirt on) and took him to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so for the first little bit, then I let more time pass later. Every time he went to the bathroom I did a little song and dance (pee pee on the potty, pee pee on the potty, pee pee, pee pee, pee pee on the potty!) Don't ask how I came up with that- but it worked, and he loved it! He even started to sing and dance while sitting on the toilet :) After he peed, we would wash our hand and then he got to pick a treat out of the jar. He got into quite a routine and would ask for his treat on the way to the bathroom!
After a day of this I put him in some underwear. About 5 minutes later, he peed all over my kitchen floor. He looked up at me, shocked! He thought he was in a diaper, but he had gotten all wet. I told him that he would get wet if he peed in his underwear and that he needed to tell me when he had to go pee pee. (It's actually a good thing he had this accident, because he realized he needed to go in the toilet from that point on). I never got mad at the accidents- I hear you are supposed to just clean them up and move on. It's worked for us.
So, Brody is now in underwear and will tell us when he has to pee. Our only problem is that he won't poo on the toilet. (any suggestions?) I will put him in a pull-up if I know he hasn't gone in a while, just to be safe! He still tells us that he has to pee even with a pull-up on, and they are a lot easier to take off and put back on than diapers! Good job Brody! We are so proud of you!





3 comments:
good job! i am waiting till after disneyland to tackle this...i will def try what you did!
I'm working with Josh right now on that! What a fun adventure! :) I bet after one or two accidents with pooping in his underwear it will 'click' with him just like on the kitchen floor. Keep me posted on how it goes... :)
Ew. I can't believe he's potty trained already. Brielle still isn't. She asks, but I don't have a clue. I'll pay you a million dollars if you'll potty train her! :D
Post a Comment