Thursday, January 28, 2010

A public note... two, for that matter!

Dear man at the library,

I don't exactly appreciate the looks you gave me as my child was screaming at the top of his lungs today. I was only in the library to pick up the book "Parenting the Strong-Willed Child". Could you tell? And, I noticed you were with two kids of your own. Sure, they were much older than my 2-year-old, but still... you've been in my spot before, I'm sure.

I'm sure you were aware that I was trying my best to calm him down and tell him to be quiet. It seemed a lot harder this time, probably because my son just KNEW we were in a SILENT place. Doesn't it always work like that? You laugh harder when you shouldn't be laughing at all? It's natural. Really!

So, unkind sir, in the future if you happen to be at a library and a mother's child decides to have a tantrum in the kids area, maybe, just maybe, think to yourself, "hey! that mom is doing her best. Perhaps I could give her a nice smile or nod implying that it's ok. I've been there before! You'll be fine." I'm just sayin'...

Regards,

Erica


Dear lady at the library,

Unlike the man, who was a father himself, you knew what I was going thru. Thank you so very much for the sweet pat-on-the-shoulder and for telling me "fun times" with a smile on your face! It meant the world to me!!

Sincerely,

Erica

2 comments:

Jen Duke said...

I hear ya! Nothing is harder than old people forgetting what it's like! Don't make it harder on me because you're annoyed and I can't help but care- keep it to yourself!

Sarah said...

Some people really have no clue! I have gotten PLENTY of those looks before with Jackson and totally feel for you. To be honest sometimes I just wanted to give them the finger:) Of course I never have but I have thought about it! It is nice though when someone comes up to you and reassures you that you are doing a great job and that you are not the only one who has dealt with a situation like that. Parenting sure does have it's ups and downs and I totally know how you feel Erica.