Brody looking out the window at the First snow of the season! (Sun. Oct. 12) He kept saying "no! no! (snow)"
(We took him outside to play in it for the first time and he really enjoyed it! Bobby showed him how to make a snowball and then he said, "and then you throw it at cars"... nice, hunky! Brody liked throwing the "ball" with his daddy! It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to play in the snow again later!)
I took Brody into the Dr. on Wed. Oct, 8. It was his 18 month check-up which was actually done at 19 months. We had one scheduled for the end of Sept, but had to re-schedule and by the time they could get us in again it would be another 2 weeks. Yeah- his Dr is pretty much awesome! (If you're in need of a good pediatrician, see me! AKA, if you go to Grow up Great, see me!) Anyway, we took him in and here are his stats:
21.1 pounds (3%)
31. 5 inches (25%)
18.5 in. head (25%)
Also, here are the notes his Dr wrote down for us... I know a lot of you have little ones, and just thought you would like to see what he says:
16-24 oz milk/day
1/2 dose of a multi-vitamin (1 bear!)
750-1000 mg calcium/day
*POISON PROOF your house*
water heat set on low 120*
car seat facing rear until 2 (yes, I'm not lying, I'll explain)
verbal stimulation- reading, singing, talking to (he says Brody is talking VERY well for his age!! The Dr was very impressed! That's my boy!)
*** Some of Brody's new words include:
(with hands up by his shoulders) all gone!
what's that?
shoes
garbage
bed
snow (which sounds more like no!)
nana (my mom)
fruit snacks (muna)
crunchies
juice
done
shower
book
light
He also has 12 teeth (4 top, 4 bottom, 4 molars - 2 on top, 2 on bottom, and his top 2 canines are coming in, one is through the skin so I guess he has 13 teeth. the bottom 2 are coming thru as well.)
So, back to the car seat facing rear until 2... I know you're probably thinking that's crazy, but I would rather have Brody safe, than have it be convenient for me to see him. I can always use a mirror! His Dr really reads up on his stuff! He says that he receives a pediatric journal once a month with ALL of the new information that comes out so often. He said that there have been some tests done and it shows that kids facing forward have 5x as many injuries as kids facing backwards. FIVE TIMES! That's a lot. So, he said that the new evidence makes it better for kids under two to face backwards. Brody will be riding backwards once again, for the next 5 months... which really isn't that long, plus, he's only 21 pounds for heaven's sake! That's only 1 pound over the minimum requirement. And, with the winter coming, I'll feel much better having him backwards. There are a lot of accidents during the winter. I'm just happy to have him as safe as possible!
Another thing his Dr says is to not give him any nuts or peanut butter until he's 3. There has been such an increase in peanut allergies that he doesn't want him to be introduced to them until later on. I asked my Dr about this again at this last app and he still sticks to his 3 year rule. He says peanut allergies can be fatal and not one he wants to mess with.
I'm so glad that he takes his time to look all of these things and pass the information onto me, a first time mom!
Don't feel like you have to follow my baby's Dr's advice, I just thought it was interesting and wanted to spread the info. Do what YOU feel is best for your baby!





2 comments:
Backward facing until two, oh that stinks, thank goodness Eli will be two in a few months!!! I think he would throw a huge fit if I turned him around! It was nice to talk to you the other day, I will be calling you again soon! Give your cute little boy a big hug and kiss for me, you know he does need to know his Aunt Emily!!!!
Ok yeah so I am gonna comment again.... The picture of my dogs totally cracked me up too. IF you haven't noticed they are in the background of most of the pictures I take, and I don't even realize they are there until way later. They follow me around everywhere I go and I guess I am just use to it. I am glad to see that someone else thought it was funny too!!
Post a Comment