Friday, April 30, 2010

... Pants on Fire

Today Brody experienced his very first lie.

I told him he could golf/putt in the garage since it was too cold to go outside. I was inside for a minute with Gavin when I heard a loud thump! I went out to the garage to find Brody with wide eyes. I asked him what happened (I figured he hit my car... by the sound of it) but he said "nothing" happened. I asked him what happened again and once more he said "nothing". (I remember thinking my Mom always knew when I was lying- which made me never do it... Now that I'm a mom, it's pretty darn easy to figure out! Plus, my Mom's just plain awesome). So, As I asked him what happened again, he said "nothing... the tire... nothing". After I got it out of him that he hit the tire (I mean, he did give it away when he was trying so hard to tell me nothing happened) I told him it wasn't good to lie. I explained that I wouldn't have been mad if he had told me the truth, but since he didn't tell me the truth, he had to go sit inside for a minute.

I really wanted him to understand what had happened- I know it wasn't a huge deal-but he's never straight up lied to me. It was a sad milestone, if you will! :) I sat him on my lap and told him that next time he just needs to tell me what happened and I won't be upset if he tells me the truth. I won't be happy if he hits my car, but the punishment will be a lot more mild if he is honest. ** This goes for everything, not just golfing by my car!

No comments: