Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Fire..Fire"

While we were down in Vegas, my mom loved to BBQ. We would go out swimming, while hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken were on the grill - Take your pick! It was so yummy! So, I decided that for dinner last night, I would try to do my own little BBQ. We have a grill, but haven't gotten a propane tank for it yet- and I didn't feel like cleaning the George Foreman afterwards, so I decided to Broil the hamburgers. I made them with my own two hands- no frozen pre-made patties in this house! (By the way, this was my very first time doing hamburgers) I turned on the broiler, got the corn on the cob cooking, the baked beans, etc. and put the burgers in. They were putting out a lot of grease that was popping all over, but I didn't think anything of it, so I put them from the middle shelf in the oven, to the top shelf- I wanted them to cook faster! I have a gas stove/oven. Not a good idea. Since the fire was right above the burgers, and they were spitting grease balls, it made the stove start to smoke. Then, to our surprise, the fire alarm went off!!! Ahhh... our alarm is extremely loud, and after a few beeps, a lady comes on and says "fire, fire" It was pretty crazy. So, now I have smoke coming out of my oven, my beans and corn still cooking, un- cooked hamburgers, and my fire alarm going crazy. We opened up doors and windows, and it finally went off. Brody was just looking around the whole time. No crying! Wow! Well, since the alarm went off, I decided to just put the burgers back on the middle shelf. Bobby thought I was crazy! To make matters worse, the burgers ended up being too small for our buns- they were fat, but too small around- if you can imagine that! And, I burnt the cheese on top. What a dinner. Next time, I'm going to someone else's BBQ. No more at my house!!

1 comment:

Nat said...

Erica, that sounds like something I would do. On the bright side at least Bob had a home cooked meal. Love your blog!